Monday, December 10, 2007

Salvage is the name of the game

I'm building my fixie on a tight budget, and so need to save wherever possible. With this in mind on Saturday just gone the Mrs and I paid a visit to my parents where I raided the garage.

I was initially just there to pinch some of my dads tools (spanners etc), but en route to the tools I walked past my old mountain bike, the wonderfully named 'Dawes Wild Cat'. As I walked past I noticed that there were a few parts I can make use of for my build. So I salvaged the following:

Quill stem (black, as I wanted)
Handel bars (to have 3.5" chopped off each end later this week)
Seat post
Saddle

quill stem

handlebar

saddle / seat post

I reckon by taking this stuff I've saved myself about 65 quid, which is a bit of a winner. I do intend to eventually upgrade the parts to get my bike looking exactly how I want it, but for now these will do nicely and get me on the road quite a bit earlier as I'll be able to put my limited funds to use elsewhere.

1 comment:

3spd said...

Do you want rid of the rest of the Wildcat?